Unlike regular cakes, snack cakes may be picked up and eaten without the use of utensils. They hold together nicely and don’t create a mess of crumbs. This recipe pumps up the protein in the snack with wheat germ and nuts.
Makes 9 snack cake squares.
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c well-mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 2/3 c packed brown sugar
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c raw wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 c chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Lightly beat the egg in a large bowl.
- Add bananas, buttermilk, and brown sugar; continue to beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, blend the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Add the walnuts to coat them in flour mixture.
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and blend just until there are no more streaks of dry ingredients.
- Spread in the prepared pan and bake 40 minutes, or until well browned on top.
- Cool in the pan and cut into nine squares.