Vegetarian Cowboy Beans
This is a hearty, meaty dish that comes together in a jiffy. Low in cost, high in nutrition and delectability!
Makes about 3.5 cups.
- 1/2 c vegetable broth
- 1/4 c textured vegetable protein granules (TVP)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Serrano chili pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c room temperature water
- 2 c cooked pinto beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops Liquid Smoke
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- In a medium, heavy pot over medium heat, bring the broth to a boil. Stir in TVP and turn off flame. Allow to stand and soften 10 minutes.
- Turn heat back on medium setting. Add oil, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and Serrano chili. Cook 4 minutes, stirring often. Stir in egg and continue to cook 1 minutes more, stirring often.
- Add water, beans, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire, Liquid Smoke and cilantro. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, uncovered. Add salt if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with corn bread or toast.