I used my recipe for Seitan Luncheon Meat in this recipe, but other mildly-flavored types of seitan would work as well.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob of ginger root, grated
- 1 hot chili pepper, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 (12 oz) can vegetable broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 c seitan, cut in medium dice
- 2 handfuls kale leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 (12 oz) carton or can of coconut milk
- In a 3-quart or larger, heavy pot, heat the olive oil. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and chili pepper. Sauté another minute.
- Stir i the coriander and curry powder and stir for a few seconds. Pour in broth.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, seitan, kale and salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting, stir, cover, and simmer 18 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and heat a few minutes, but do not boil. Serve in bowls as is or over cooked rice. Garnish with cilantro leaves or green onion tops.