Red Pepper GoulashThis is a tasty Hungarian Goulash that is made with soya chunks, also known as TVP or TSP.It is loaded with protein, vitamins and minerals, but not with fat and calories.
- 2 c beef style vegetarian broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 c soya protein chunks
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 c mushrooms, sliced
- 3 c red pepper, diced ( 3-4 red peppers)
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp mild paprika
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley (or 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 c water
- In a small saucepan, heat broth to simmering, add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until blended. Remove from stove and add soya chunks. Allow to stand 15 minutes.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, mushrooms and red peppers and saute 3 minutes. Stir in the flour, paprika, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Saute 1 minute. Add water, scraping bottom of pot.
- Stir in soya chunks with soaking liquid. Bring to simmer, cover, and reduce heat to lowest setting. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring once or twice. Serve in bowls with a slice of bread, or ladled over noodles.