Lion's Mane Mushroom Chowder
My daugter foraged for wild mushrooms this spring and found some delicate lion's mane mushrooms. In this chowder, they taste like crab or lobster, and have that sort of texture. This chowder is elegant and delicious!
Makes about 6 cups.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch-1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 (15 oz) can corn with liquid
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 c carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 c potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 c lion's mane mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1/4 c parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 c milk
- In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter over medium. Saute the onion and celery for 3 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric, cayenne and flour. Stir well for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the corn with packing liquid. Add water, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and parsley. (Soup may look like it needs more water, but the veggies will decrease in size as they cook.)
- Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionaly until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the milk and let it heat briely. (Do not allow to boil.)
- Serve hot with crackers and a crisp salad.