Jamaican Red Bean Stew
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper (or jalapeno), minced
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 3/4 c water
- 8 oz full-fat coconut milk
- 3 c cooked kidney beans (or 2-15 oz cans, drained)
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced (3/4")
- 2 c butternut squash, peeled, diced (3/4")
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- dash salt
- In a large, heavy pot on high heat, melt the coconut oil. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and Scotch Bonnet. Saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, water and coconut milk.
- Add kidney beans, carrots, squash, paprika, thyme, pepper, allspice, and salt; stir well and bring to simmering.
- Cover, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover, check salt level, and cook uncovered 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Sprinkle with sliced green onion if desired and serve with slices of lime.