Homemade kimchi is miles better than the store-bought variety. This easy recipe will keep a long time, and provide you with a fewmentation culture that is beneficial for your health. Try these easy sandwiches for a real taste treat!
Makes about 2 quarts kimchi.
Ingredients for Homemade Kimchi:
- 1 large head of cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 c kosher salt (or 1/4 c fine salt)
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed, julienned
- 1 medium standard onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, julienned
- 2 inch piece ginger root, peeled, minced
- 1 large apple, cored, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1/4 c Japanese dry chilies, crushed
Directions for Homemade Kimchi:
- Clean and chop cabbage in 1/2 inch pieces, reserving a large cabbage leaf for later.
- Place the chopped cabbage in a large bowl and toss with salt. Macerate the cabbage with your hands to break it down. Allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or high speed blender, add the ginger, apple, garlic, soy sauce, and Japanese chilies, blending until you have a smooth seasoning paste.
- When the cabbage is ready, drain it in a colander, rinsing well under cold water until most of the salt is washed off. (It should taste no saltier than a pickle at this point.)
- Squeeze cabbage to remove water. Place it in a large bowl.
- To the cabbage, add the green onions, standard onions, and carrots. Stir in the seasoning paste and toss well.
- Transfer kimchi mixture to a 2-quart or larger jar with a tight-fitting lid. Pack it tightly, pressing down with a spoon to remove any air pockets.
- Place reserved cabbage leaf over the mixture, and a clean weight on top to press it down.
- Loosely place the cap on the jar, allowing for the release of gases. Ferment the kimchi at room temperature for 4-7 days, or until it reaches the sourness you desire, pressing it down each day to remove air pockets.
- Once you are pleased with the flavor, tightly fasten the lid and refrigerate it. If you carefully press it down after each use, it will keep for a month or more.
Ingredients for Kimchi Grilled Sandwiches
- 4 slices firm bread (sourdough, rye, artesan, etc.)
- 1 c homemade kimchi
- 3-4 oz pepper jack cheese (Sliced or shredded)
Directions for Kimchi Grilled Sandwiches:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- On each slice of bread place a quarter-cup kimchi. Spread evenly.
- Top with pepper jack cheese. Place in oven on a rack that is set over a baking sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bottom crust is toasted.
- Serve warm or hot with a side salad.