Hot Creamy Cucumber Soup
To make this soup vegan style, just substitute margarine for butter and coconut milk for sour cream.
- 4 medium American slicing cucumbers
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 3 c water
- 1 Tbsp chicken style vegetarian broth mix
- 1/2 tsp mint
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 c sour cream
- salt if needed
- Peel the cucumbers and cut them in 1/2 inch slices. Set aside.
- In a large heavy pot over medium low heat, melt the butter.
- Add onions and saute about 5 minutes, or until transparent.
- Add flour and stir one minute.
- Pour in the water. Stir in the broth mix, mint and black pepper.
- Over medium heat, stir frequently until thickened and boiling. (Be sure to scrape the bottom while stirring.)
- Stir in the cucumbers; bring back to boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Puree the soup in a stand blender or with an immersion blender. Stir in the sour cream.
- Check for seasoning level, adding more salt, mint and/or pepper as needed. Serve hot.