- 1 medium chayote squash
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 c whole raw cashews
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 1 c garbanzo beans, cooked and drained
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Leaving skin on, cut chayote in half lengthwise. Remove pit. Slice each half in 1/4 inch wedges. Cut red bell pepper and onion in similar sized slices.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add cashews and saute 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown and aromatic. Remove to a holding plate.
- To the same skillet, add the chayote, red bell peppers and onions. Saute 5-6 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, garbanzos, turmeric, cayenne and salt; stir. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the toasted cashews and serve hot as is, or spoon over hot cooked rice.