Chayote Green Bean Soup
When I am dieting, I like to substitute chayote for potatoes in many dishes. They have less than half the calories, and provide the same filling, satisfying texture. This vegan soup is especially appreciated on those cooler Fall evenings.
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1/2 lb (2 c) fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large chayote, peeled and diced
- 2 c canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh basil or 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, warm olive oil on medium low heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, green beans and chayote; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with dash of vegan or dairy Parmesan cheese, if desired.