Adzuki Bean Tofu Soup
Makes about 2 quarts.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 8 oz extra firm tofu, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 large carrots, peeled, finely diced
- 2 c cooked adzuki beans
- 1/3 c chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 c baby arugula or spinach leaves
- In a large, heavy pot, warm one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. (Be sure it has heated sufficiently to avoid sticking.) Add tofu and lightly brown on all sides. Remove to a holding dish.
- In the same pot, add the other tablespoon of olive and stir in the onion and celery. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, tomatoes, carrots, adzuki beans, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir and break up any large tomato pieces with the back of your spoon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add arugula and tofu. Bring back to simmer and heat 2 minutes. Serve hot.