Stuffed Yellow Squash
This vegan dish is light and satisfying. Full of nutrition, it makes a nice side dish or main course.
- 2 medium yellow squashes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c carrot, shredded
- 1/2 c celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (15 oz) can peas, drained and mashed
- 1/4 c parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 c dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the stem ends off the squashes. Slice the squashes in half lengthwise.
- Place them in a baking dish, cut side down and add 1/4 inch water to the dish. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven (leaving oven on) and cool squashes till you can handle them safely.
- Turn squashes over. Use a spoon or melon baller to remove all the seeds, leaving a smooth shell. Transfer squashes (without liquid), cut side up, to an 11 x 7 x 2 inch oiled baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with a total of 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- To the skillet mixture, add mashed peas, parsley, lemon zest, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, paprika, coriander, turmeric, and mustard powder; blend well.
- Stuff the cooked squash halves evenly, mounding the filling and pressing down lightly. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot.