This lovely Irish dish is perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day feast. Serve with your favorite vegetarian entree.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 4 c kale, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter (divided use)
- 1 c red onion, chopped
- 1/3 c whole milk
- 1 Tbsp dulse flakes
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- In a large pot, stir together the potatoes, kale and salt. Add water to cover. Place over high heat; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 12 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- While the potatoes/kale are cooking, melt one tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Add onion and saute 8-10 minutes.
- When potatoes/kale are done, use a slotted spoon to remove most of the kale to a holding plate. (Kale will be floating on top).
- Strain the potatoes, put them back in pot, and use a potato masher to rice them.
- Add the milk and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter; stir them into the potatoes.
- Fold in the kale, onions, dulse, and pepper. Fold in a pinch more salt if needed.
- Serve hot.