Easier than pie and with fewer calories, this is an outstanding dessert!
- 4 c sweet, firm apples, peeled, sliced
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 c water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (rounded)
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening, melted
- 1/2 c whole milk
- Place the apples in a large pot. Add cornstarch dissolved in the quarter-cup of water, lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
Batter and Baking:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour in the shortening and milk. Mix until combined in a biscuit-like batter.
- Place apples in the bottom of prepared baking dish in an even layer.
- Spoon the batter over the top. (Batter need not cover everything completely.)
- Bake 30 minutes. Cool 30 minutes before cutting in 6 equal portions and serving. If desired trickle with whole milk, or dollop with whipped cream.