This recipe is easy to make from 100% wheat protein (High Gluten Flour or Vital Wheat Gluten). It's great in sandwiches, julienned with vegetable sticks, or in Fried Bologna Casserole.
Makes 1-20 ounce bologna roll.
- 1 c water
- 2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground mace
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water, Liqud Smoke, and olive oil.
- In a large bowl, blend the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, coriander, mace, and cloves.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until thick; then use clean hands to knead for a minute or two, adding more water or flour as needed.
- Form into a 6 inch long roll. Wrap in foil and twist at the ends.
- Bake directly on oven rack for 75 minutes or until very firm, but not dried out. (Turn over half-way through.) Remove and cool. Slice or dice as needed.