This is an easy way to make a spicy vegetarian seitan that can be sliced and used as cold cuts, or diced and added to many casseroles and soups.
Makes a 20 oz salami roll.
- 3/4 c water
- 1/4 c tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a small bowl, mix together the water, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and olive oil until well-incorporated.
- In a large bowl, blend the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, salt, paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian herbs, fennel seeds and sugar.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until thick; then use clean hands to knead for a minute or two, adding more water or flour as needed.
- Form into a 6 inch long roll. Wrap in foil and twist at the ends.
- Bake for 90 minutes, turning once half way through. Remove and cool. Slice or dice as needed.