This compote makes a lovely dessert when served over vanilla pudding or poured over biscuits.
Makes about 2.5 cups.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- dash salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 c water
- Wash and hull strawberries. Slice or chop berries and place in a medium saucepan.
- Add sugar, lemon juice and salt; stir.
- In a small bowl or cup, blend together the cornstarch and water until dissolved; add to pot.
- Stir over medium heat until simmering. Reduce heat to low; stir continuously for 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and cool to thicken. Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream, Also good poured over pudding or biscuits.