These biscuits are great with breakfast. For an easy Springtime dessert, serve them smothered in Strawberry Compote.
Makes 11-12 (2-inch) biscuits.
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (use 3/4 tsp if using unsalted butter)
- 3 Tbsp cold vegetable shortening
- 3 Tbsp cold butter, finely cubed
- 2/3 c milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and lightly butter a medium biscuit pan or similar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Put in the shortening and cubed butter. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut them into the dry ingredients, until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Pour in the milk and stir with a wooden spoon 15 times or less, just enough to bring the dough together.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface and flour the top. Press out with fingertips until the dough is roughly 1/2 inch thick. Fold in half.
- Repeat flouring, patting out and folding 2-3 more times.
- Pat out again; cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter or a glass of the same size. Reroll as needed until all dough is used, placing biscuits side by side in the prepared biscuit pan.
- Bake 11-12 minutes, or until well-browned on top.
- Serve warm for best results.