Lemony Kale Salsa Fresca
Here is a salsa fresca without cilantro, and with plenty of kale instead. It is great as a dip with tortilla chips. It is also a nice accompaniment to burritos, black bean burgers, and a wide array of other dishes.
Makes about 3 cups.
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 2 1/2 c chopped kale leaves
- 3 medium tomatoes, quartered, or 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 medium brown onion, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Roast jalapeños over a flame or 6 from the broiler flame until charred. Cool until safe to handle. Remove seeds and membranes. Roughly chop.
- Place jalapeños in food processor. Add remaining ingredients.
- Pulse until you have a coarse, but even salsa texture.
- Tightly cover and chill one hour or more before serving.
- Use with tortilla chips, burritos, tostadas and other Mexican dishes. Refrigerate any leftovers and use within one week.