If you wish to avoid mayonnaise and reduce fat, this egg salad is for you. We used dry lima beans in this recipe, soaking them overnight, then cooking them in a pressure cooker at medium pressure for 20 minutes. However, canned cannellini beans or great northern beans would work well too.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- 1/2 c cooked white beans, drained
- 2 large eggs, hard cooked*
- 1/4 c celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 c onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Refrigerate cooked, drained beans and eggs separately until well-chilled.
- In a large bowl, using a pastry cutter or potato masher, process the beans until smooth.
- Peel the eggs and add them, processing them just until roughly chopped.
- Fold in the celery, onion, parsley, relish, olive oil, curry powder, salt and pepper. (This salad tastes best when chilled several hours before serving.) Serve on whole grain bread or on a bed of Bibb lettuce.
To hard cook eggs: Place the eggs in a small saucepan, and cover with water. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 3 minutes. Turn off flame, and cover tightly. Allow to stand for 20 minutes before uncovering, cooling and refrigerating.