Tree Collard Salad with Balsamic Dressing
We have had good luck growing Tree Collards this year (also known as Tree Kale or Walking Stick Kale). They provide highly nutritious greens that work well in stews and also in this lovely green salad.
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/3 c halved, pitted Kalamata olives
- 3-4 c chopped tree collards
- 3/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- Cut the tomato and bell pepper in a 1/2-inch dice and place them in a medium salad bowl.
- Cut the onion in small slivers and add. Drop in the olives and collards and toss.
- In a 2-cup jar with a tight-fitting cap, add all the dressing ingredients. Tighten cap and shake well.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of dressing to the salad and toss well. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve within a few hours, tossing again just before serving.