Kiwi Chayote SaladChayote can be cooked like squash (though it is technically in the gourd family), but it is also good in a raw salad. This Kiwi Chayote salad has a Mexican twist with the addition of hot 'pico de gallo' Mexican seasoning.
- 1 chayote, pitted and julienned
- 2 kiwis, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 bell pepper, any color, julienned
- 1/4 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pico de gallo
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash of salt
- In a medium bowl combine chayote, kiwis, red onion, bell pepper and poppy seeds.
- In a separate small bowl or cup, mix the pico de gallo, rice vinegar, olive oil, and sugar.
- Stir well and toss the salad well with the dressing.
- Add a dash of salt to taste and mix.
- This may be served right away, or refrigerated up to a day ahead.