California Green Bean Salad
Great for a picnic or Fourth of July celebration, this salad is crunchy and tangy. Serve with veggie burgers and potato salad for a real treat.
- 8 oz whole fresh green beans
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 c corn kernels, fresh or canned
- 1/4 c Italian parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
- dash ground pepper
- Snip off stem ends of green beans. Prepare a bowl of ice water (about 1 quart).
- In a medium saucepan, bring one quart of salted water to a boil. Add green beans.
- Bring back to boil. Boil 4 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge in the ice water bath.
- Swish beans in the ice water until no longer hot. Drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Chop tomatoes coarsely; add to the green beans. Add corn and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss until all is covered. Cover and chill at least an hour before serving for best results.