TVP Greek Rice : Spanakorizo
Greek Rice is loaded with tomatoes and spinach and has the lovely flavor of olive oil. Here we have a high protein version of the traditional dish. It can be served as a main course or side dish, and it has a superb flavor.
- 2 c whole canned tomatoes with liquid
- 1/4 c TVP granules (textured soy) or gluten shreds
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 5 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 c water (divided use)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp beef style vegetarian broth mix (powdered)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 c uncooked long-grain white rice
- parsley for garnish
- In food processor or blender, pulse the tomatoes until they are pureed. Add the TVP and allow to stand at least 5 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium low heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender, or about 5 minutes. Mix in spinach and stir until it is coated with oil. Stir in the tomato/TVP mixture, one-half cup of the water, garlic, broth mix, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Bring to simmering, turn heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and the remaining half-cup of water. Return to simmering, reduce heat to low, and simmer covered tightly for 15 minutes. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, and add a bit more water if needed. Cover and simmer 15 minutes more, or until rice is tender. Stir well, remove bay leaf and serve hot with a parsley garnish.