Mexican Party Rice
This recipe is based on an authentic Mexican recipe given me by a friend. If the oil seems excessive, remember that most of it will be drained off, and may be stored in the refrigerator for repeated use. This rice is fluffy, yet moist and full of flavor.
- 2 c long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1/3 c minced onion
- 1/3 c minced poblano chili pepper or green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp minced cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 c water
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- In a 4-quart or larger heavy pot. add the rice and oil. Bring to boil on medium. Cook until deep golden brown, stirring often (about 10 minutes).
- Strain off oil, reserving it for future use. Put rice back in pot and add onion, poblano peppers, garlic, bay leaf, cilantro and salt. Sauté one minute.
- Pour in the water and tomato sauce. Stir and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove bay leaf. Fluff and serve.