These muffins are light and mildly sweet, with a good cornmeal flavor. They have enough grains and nuts in them to make them a good addition to the breakfast table.
Makes about 6 medium muffins.
- 1/2 c yellow corn meal
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp peanut butter
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 1/2 c water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c chopped unsalted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter 6 medium muffin wells.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, mix the peanut butter and honey, stirring until just blended and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the yogurt and water. Beat in the egg with a whisk until well-incorporated.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the corn meal mixture. Add peanuts and fold them in.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin wells and bake 15 minutes, or until domed on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, before loosening with a butter knife and transferring to a cooling rack.