Potato Tikka Masala
- 2 Tbsp neutral-flavored oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 Tbsp ginger powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (7-8 oz) carton coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- salt to taste
- In a large, heavy pot over low heat, warm the oil and butter. Add onions; cook until transluscent (8-10 minutes).
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, minced garlic, garam masala, turmeric, ginger powder, and jalapeno pepper; saute 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, coconut milk and water; raise heat to medium and bring to boil.
- Add potatoes, reduce heat, simmer uncovered until potatoes are just tender.
- Add paprika, cayenne, cilantro and salt to taste. Serve hot in bowls as is, or over steamed rice.