Mandarin Orange Broccoli Noodles
This is an easy vegan dinner that is full of flavor. To add extra protein, you may sprinkle with peanuts before serving.
- 10 oz broccoli florets
- 5 oz fresh mushrooms, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 c crushed tomatoes with juice
- 2 c water
- 1/2 c Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 c creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained (reserve liquid)
- 8 oz dry linguini noodles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In an 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish, mix the broccoli, mushrooms, and tomatoes with juice.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, mix together the water, sweet chili sauce, peanut butter, red pepper flakes, and the liquid from the can of mandarin oranges. (Mixture does not have to be smooth, but the peanut butter should be distributed throughout.) Set aside the drained oranges for later.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake about 25 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove from oven and open foil away from you so as not to be scalded with steam. Gently fold in the oranges and set aside.
- Cook the linguini in boiling salted water until tender or about 10 minutes after they come back to the boil. Be sure to stir often to prevent sticking.
- Drain noodles and add to the baking dish, stirring gently. Serve hot.