Crock Pot Eggplant TortelliniI had to get down my 5 quart crock pot for this recipe. If you don't have a large slow cooker, best cut this recipe in half.
- 2 medium globe eggplants
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 c chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 4 c water
- 1-18 oz package refrigerated cheese tortellinis
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 c parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt (less if using salted canned tomatoes)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Cut the washed eggplants into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large heavy pot or skillet, heat the oil on high setting. Add eggplant and saute for about 3 minutes, or until the eggplant deepens in color.
- Add onion and garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Place these vegetables in a large (4-5 quart) crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well, and turn the pot to low. Cook 5 hours, or until eggplant is tender throughout, stirring once or twice. Serve hot with extra grated Parmesan cheese.