Cauliflower Lentil PenneWhole wheat pasta or whole grain pasta makes this a delicious dish. The red lentils cook very quickly, unlike green or brown lentils which, if substituted, would have to cook much longer. This dish comes together quickly and is a one dish, high protein meal.
- 3 c cauliflower florets (half of a large trimmed cauliflower)
- 6 oz whole grain penne pasta
- 1/2 c red lentils
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dry or fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Parmesan cheese, grated or Vegan Topping (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water over medium heat, drop the cauliflower and cook about 4 minutes, or until just tender.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, retaining the boiling water.
- Drop the penne and lentils into the boiling water and stir well.
- Boil about 14 minutes, or until the lentils and pasta are tender. Reserve half a cup of pasta water and drain.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, warm two tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Saute the cauliflower and onions in the oil about 3 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Stir in the rosemary, garlic, and red pepper flakes; saute another minute.
- Pour in the tomatoes and the reserved pasta water; stir well.
- Lower heat and simmer covered for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the black pepper, salt, penne/lentils, and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. If desired, add the Parmesan cheese to taste.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.