The American style Neufchatel cheese is similar to cream cheese, but lower in fat, and with a slightly stronger cheese flavor. Use a store-bought pumpernickel party loaf or make your own whole grain bread and slice it into 2 inch squares.
Makes 18 party sandwiches.
- 18 slices whole grain dense party bread
- 1/4 c fresh parsley and/or other herbs
- 1/4 c chopped onion
- 1 (8 oz) package American style Neufchatel cheese
- 1/8 tsp season salt
- 1/4 c sliced green olives with pimientos
- 1/4 c shredded carrots
- Mince the parsley and onions by hand, or use a food chopper.
- Add the Neufchatel cheese and season salt. Blend until creamy.
- Spread each slice of bread with the cheese mixture.
- Top half of them with pimiento olives and half with carrots.
- Cover tightly and chill until served.