Curried Dry Lima Beans
I like to serve these curried beans with small seashell pasta, adding a bit of the pasta cooking liquid to the beans and sprinkling each serving with Brazil nuts and raisins.
Makes 6-7 cups of curried beans.
- 1 lb dry baby lima beans
- 10 c water
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 c crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 Tbsp minced cilantro
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Sort and rinse beans. Place beans in a 7 quart heavy pot with the 10 cups of water. Soak overnight or via quick soak method*.
- Keeping the soaking water, bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except honey; continue simmering 90 minutes more, or until tender, stirring often and adding water if needed.
- When tender, stir in honey. If desired sprinkle with chopped nuts, cilantro leaves, and/or raisins. Serve hot over rice or pasta, or in bowls with Naan bread.
*Quick soak method: Bring beans to a boil in the soaking water. Turn off heat and cover tightly. Allow to stand one hour.