The batter on this tempura is light and crisp, and the flavors or the vegetables shine through in this classic dish.
- 1 1/2 c arrowroot (divided use)
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c cold water
Vegetables and Seitan
- 2 c butternut squash, peeled (bite-sized pieces)
- 2 c summer squash (bite-sized)
- 2 c poblano peppers, seeded (strips)
- 2 c seitan (bite-sized pieces)
- 2-4 c high heat vegetable oil
- In a deep, medium-sized bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the arrowroot, the all purpose flour, and salt. Add cold water and whisk just until blended.
- Place the other cup of arrowroot in a medium bowl.
- Using tongs, dip each vegetable and seitan piece first in the arrowroot and then in the batter. Place coated items in a large bowl, ready for frying.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or heavy pot until it reaches 350 degrees F.
- Use tongs to carefully slide several coated pieces at a time in the hot oil. Turn after 2-3 minutes and cook the other sides until browned and tender inside. Remove to a tray lined with paper towels.
- When all is fried, place on a platter and serve hot with any dipping sauce of your choice.