Black Bean Sopes
These little Mexican "tarts" make a light, lovely lunch. ! I used my Easy Vegan Taco Filling in making these delicious sopes, but any vegetarian taco filling would work well.
Makes 12 small sopes.
- 1 c masa harina
- dash salt
- scant cup water (may not need all)
- 2 c vegetable oil
- 1 c vegetarian taco filling
- 1 c cooked black beans
- 1/2 c shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 c shredded lettuce
- 1/2 c chopped tomatoes
- In a medium bowl, mix the masa harina and salt. Add just enough of the water to make a stiff dough. Knead in bowl 2-3 minutes.
- Break dough into 12 even balls. Roll one ball in dampened palms, then flatten it into a 3" disc. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Heat a large dry skillet over medium setting. Working in batches, cook each disc about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a holding plate. While warm, crimp up edges, using your fingers to make a raised edge all around.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. When hot, add a few crimped sopes and fry them until golden on each side. Drain on a rack. Repeat for remaining sopes.
- Into each sopes "tart" place fillings in this order: a rounded tablespoon of taco filling, rounded tablespoon black beans, half-tablespoon grated cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.
- Serve warm.