Easy Vegan Taco Filling
This filling works well in tacos, sopes, and taco salads. Flavorful and delicious!
Makes about 3 cups.
- 2 dry California chilies
- 2 c hot water
- 1 c TVP granules (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- Remove stems from the dried chilies. Break them up and place them in a blender.
- Add hot water. Following safety measures for blending hot liquids**, process the chilies until fairly smooth.
- Add TVP to blender mixture and allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Heat olive oil on medium setting in a large skillet. Add TVP mixture, tomato sauce, juice, garlic, and taco seasoning. Bring to simmer.
- Cook, stirring often, about 10 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed into the TVP and the texture looks like beef taco filling.
- Check for salt level. Serve hot in taco shells, on burritos, sopes, or taco salads.
**Remove center of blender lid, place clean rag over top, and holding tightly, pulse until safe to blend.