Parsnip and Kale FrittataI am always looking for good parsnip recipes, as I love their flavor and satisfying texture. This October, parsnips are in their full glory and pair up nicely with deep green kale. Here is a frittata recipe that is delicately seasoned and truly delicious.
- 2 c water
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 c parsnips, finely chopped (1 large or 2 medium parsnips)
- 4 c kale, stems removed and leaves chopped (1 bunch)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large ovenproof skillet over medium low, heat the water and oil until simmering. Add the parsnips, kale, salt, pepper and sage. Allow to come back to simmering, cover and cook 7 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat eggs and Parmesan cheese until smooth. Uncover the skillet after the 7 minutes and allow all but about 1/4 cup of the liquid to cook out. Add the egg/cheese mixture to skillet, smoothing to edges. Cook about 5 minutes, or until edges begin to set and bubbles come through the top of the egg mixture. Put in oven for about 7 minutes, or until cooked through. If desired place in the broiler 2 minutes, or until golden brown. This main dish can be served hot, room temperature, or cold. It makes a great sandwich filling between slices of crusty Italian bread.