This is our take on a traditional Polish dish. We’ve added Brussel sprouts, peas and carrots to make a tempting side dish. Haluski is especially nice served with vegetarian Kielbasa sausages, such as the ones made by Boca.
- 2 c egg noodles
- 2 c Brussel sprouts, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 4 c cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded or very thinly sliced
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook Brussel sprouts in a small amount of water until nearly tender. Drain and place on cutting board to cool for a few minutes. Cut each sprout in half.
- Put oil in large deep skillet or wok over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute about 4 minutes, until beginning to brown. Add brown sugar, salt, caraway seeds and paprika and stir well. Put in the halved sprouts and continue sauteing another 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage and carrot to skillet and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the peas and butter. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for another 5-8 minutes. Add cooked noodles and stir well until heated though. Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot.