Veggie Chili MacThis is a dish very prevalent in the American South and very comforting. This dish is best if you use low sodium beans and tomatoes.
- 1 1/2 c elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1-15 oz can chili beans
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed dry oregano
- 8 oz shredded cheddar
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. In a 2 quart pot over medium heat, add the oil.
- When hot, saute the onion until slightly brown.
- Add garlic, chili powder and paprika and cook a few seconds. Stir in the beans and tomatoes and bring to simmering. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and crushed oregano at the last minute.
- Remove from heat and fold in the macaroni.
- Serve with plenty of shredded cheddar. Sour cream, sliced green onions and minced cilantro may be added as toppings.