Vegetarian Japanese Beef Curry
- 1 c beef-flavored TVP chunks*
- 1 c boiling water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp minced ginger root
- 2 c vegetarian broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 medium apple, peeled, shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Soak the TVP in the boiling water for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil on medium low. Add onions and sauté 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger. Sauté another minute.
- Add the broth and tomatoes. Bring to simmer on medium heat.
- Sir in the carrots, apple, bay leaf and star anise; cook 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, TVP, and the TVP soaking liquid; bring back to simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour, curry powder and garam masala. Stir into a roux or thick paste.
- Add roux to the pot of stew and stir constantly until the stew is thickened and its sauce is smooth.
- Serve in bowls, as is, or over plates of rice.
*TVP, or Textured Vegetable Protein, is made from soy beans. Be sure to get an organic, non-GMO type of TVP for best health benefits.