Persian Okra Stew with TVPPersian Okra Stew, Khoresh Bamieh, is traditionally made with stewed meat. Our version substitutes textured vegetable protein chunks (TVP), also known as textured soy protein (TSP). This is a main course entree with perfectly seasoned okra.
- 12 oz large okra pods
- 2 c water
- 1 Tbsp beef style vegetarian broth and seasoning mix
- 1/2 tsp browning sauce (such as Kitchen Bouquet) or soy sauce
- 1/2 c TVP chunks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onions, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes, cut in thin lengthwise wedges
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 c fresh lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 c water
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Wash and trim the stems from the okra pods, leaving just a thin cap on the ends intact. Set aside.
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, stir the water, broth mix, browning sauce and TVP chunks.
- When the mixture boils, turn the heat down to low. Cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet and saute the onions a few minutes over medium heat until they turn golden brown.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, and pepper; saute another minute. When the TVP mixture is ready, pour the onion mixture into the pot.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, lime juice and water.
- Bring to simmering over medium heat.
- Place okra on top of the TVP mixture. Cover and turn flame down to low. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add salt, stir well, scraping the bottom of the pot, and serve with basmati rice.