This rustic bread is perfect served warm with soup or salad. This is not a sweet corn bread, but a whole grain bread with lots of corn flavor.
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c corn meal
- 1 1 /2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 c half ‘n half
- 1/4 c light corn syrup
- 1 c canned corn, drained
- In a medium bowl, blend whole wheat flour, corn meal, baking soda and sea salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly with a whisk or fork.
- Add buttermilk, half ‘n half, corn syrup and corn niblets and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend just until well incorporated.
- Allow to stand while preheating the oven, or about 15-20 minutes to soften the corn meal.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Pour the batter in and be sure to draw it out to the edges, leaving the center slightly lower.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touch lightly.
- Cool slightly before cutting and serving with honey and butter.