This cabbage dish is creamy and flavorful. It goes well with potatoes and a veggie loaf. Green cabbage may be substituted in this dish.
- 6 c purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 c half ‘n half
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 oz American cheese, diced
- In a Dutch oven or large heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter and add the water.
- Drop in the purple cabbage and saute for 8 minutes.
- Mix together the flour, salt, pepper and caraway seeds; sprinkle them over the cabbage and stir them in well.
- Add the half ‘n half and honey and stir, bringing up to a simmer.
- Lower heat and simmer covered for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.