A snack cake cannot be too crumbly, but must be soft, moist and easily picked up in the hands and eaten without a fork. This snack cake is a good example. It can be cut into squares and wrapped individually. It makes a great breakfast on the run (with a cup of coffee) or a lunch bag treat. The wheat germ, milk, egg, and nuts provide a generous portion of protein.
Makes 9 snack cake squares.
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 c sweetened condensed milk
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c raw wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Using a whisk, lightly beat the egg in a large bowl.
- Add the applesauce and condensed milk and continue to beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, blend the flour wheat germ and baking soda well.
- Add the dates and nuts and coat them well in the flour mixture.
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and blend just until there are no more streaks of dry ingredients.
- Spread in the prepared pan and bake 40 minutes, or until well browned on top.
- Cool in the pan and cut into nine squares.