Ginger Eggplant and Squash RingsThis is wonderful side dish that can be served with grilled tofu and rice. The squash and eggplant skins are quite tender and edible when baked, and the easy ginger sauce is very savory.
- 1 small acorn squash
- 1/2 medium globe eggplant
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp apricot preserves or jam
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wash squash and cut in half crosswise. Remove seeds and carefully slice 1/3 inch thick rings from each. Wash eggplant and cut an equal number of 1/3 inch thick unpeeled slices from it. On a shallow large baking dish, alternate eggplant and squash rings, overlapping them. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes, or until fork tender.
- In a small skillet or saucepan, melt the margarine over medium low heat. Saute the garlic about 3 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown. Add apricot preserves, soy sauce, ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute or two. When smooth, pour over eggplant/squash slices and serve hot.