This grits recipe is wonderful for breakfast on a cold day. It also makes a satisfying evening snack. No milk or cream is necessary, though it can be poured on top if desired. Added honey may not be necessary either, depending on the sweetness of the bananas.
- 2 large bananas (divided use)
- 2 tsp margarine or butter
- 2 1/2 c hot water
- 1/2 c quick cooking grits
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- dash salt
- 1/2 c sweetened coconut flakes (divided use)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- In a medium bowl, mash 1 1/2 of the bananas with a fork, reserving 1/2 of a banana to slice for the topping.
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, melt the margarine and stir in the mashed bananas. Saute 3 minutes to develop flavors.
- With a wire whisk, stir in the hot water, grits, honey, salt and most of the coconut, reserving a tablespoon or two for the topping. Bring up to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cover, simmering for about 7 minutes.
- Remove from flame, stir in the vanilla, and pour into serving bowls. Sprinkle with coconut and sliced bananas. Serve with honey and cream if desired.