Chikn Potato ScallopThis scalloped dish uses a low fat base of creamy, flavorful chickpea gravy. The vegetarian chicken patties are non-genetically modified by Caroline's Natural.
Serves 4. Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 35 minutes. Total time: 45 minutes.
- 1 (13 oz) can Caroline's Chik'n Patty
- 1 1/2 c hot vegetable broth
- 1/4 c chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dry savory
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 large red or orange bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 c frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain the broth from the Chik'n Patties into a large bowl and set patties aside. Add the hot vegetable broth to the bowl, chickpea flour, olive oil, savory, salt and pepper. Whisk until well blended and free of lumps.
- Place about a half-cup of the broth mixture in the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Peel potatoes; slice them 1/8-inch thick. Remove stems, seeds, and membranes from bell pepper, and cut it in 1/2-inch dice.
- Place the potato slices in the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange the four Caroline's Chik'n patties on top, evenly spaced.
- Scatter the bell pepper around the patties and pour the remaining broth mixture over everything. Dot with butter. Allow peas to stand at room temperature while proceeding with recipe.
- Bake scalloped dish uncovered 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are just fork tender.
- Remove from oven and scatter peas around patties, partially submerging them in gravy. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- If desired, garnish with chives or parsley. Serve hot.