Sweet mesquite powder is loaded with vitamins and minerals. It comes from the seeds of the mesquite plant and has a coconut-like flavor. This is a great way to use it:
Makes 12 medium muffins:
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1 medium apple, shredded with peel
- 1/2 c sweet mesquite powder
- 1 1/2 c baking mix (Bisquik, Jiffy, or homemade)
- 1/4 c raw sugar
- 1/2 c dessicated unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and generously butter a 12-muffin baking tray.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg lightly. Add buttermilk and apple. Blend well.
- Fold in mesquite powder, baking mix, raw sugar and coconut. Blend just enough to incorporate.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in baking tray 5 minutes before loosening edges with a butter knife and turning out on a cooling rack.