Cauliflower Curry with TVP
Traditional Indian Cauliflower Curry (Aloo Gobi) is extra nutritious and satisfying with the addition of textured vegetable protein.
- 1/2 c textured vegetable protein chunks (TVP)
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 2 tsp vegetarian broth mix
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 2-3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 c frozen peas and pearl onions (or just frozen peas)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 1/2 c chopped tomatoes with their juice
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Soak the TVP in the boiling water and vegetarian broth mix for 15 minutes.
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Place the cauliflower, potatoes, and frozen peas/pearl onions in the boiling water for 4 minutes or until barely tender. Drain fully.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; add onions, cumin seeds and green chili pepper; sauté 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice; sauté another 3 minutes.
- Fold in the TVP with soaking liquid, cauliflower, potatoes and peas. Add coconut milk, curry powder and salt. Continue cooking until completely hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with steamed rice.