This hot sauce will bring burritos, tacos, and other Hispanic dishes to life, and it only takes a few minutes to make.
Makes about 1 cup.
- 1 c whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 small serrano chili pepper, stem removed
- 1 whole peeled clove garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp minced cilantro (optional)
- In a small saucepan, place the tomatoes, chili pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder, vegetable oil, and salt. Barely cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes or until the tomatoes have broken down and the liquid has reduced by about one-fourth.
- Place mixture in a blender and remove center of lid. Place a towel over the opening and cover with your hand to prevent overflow.
- Process until the consistency you want. Stir in cilantro and add additional salt if needed. Refrigerate unused portion and use within a week.