Autumn TVP Chicken
With Autumn only weeks away, I hope you enjoy this recipe. It makes a complete vegan meal in about 40 minutes! I used Dixie Diners' Club Chicken (Not!) Strips for the TVP chunks, but other brands are good too.
- 1 c TVP Chicken Flavored Chunks (Textured Vegetable Protein)
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 Tbsp chicken broth mix
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cinnamon
- 2 c butternut squash, peeled, diced (1/2" pieces)
- 2 c chopped kale or other tender greens
- 1(15 oz) can chopped or diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp minced cilantro or other fresh herbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Soak TVP in boiling water and chicken broth mix for 15 minutes.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, warm the oil; sauté the onion 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, allspice, and cinnamon; sauté another minute.
- Add TVP with soaking liquid, squash, kale, tomatoes, brown sugar, cilantro, and salt.
- Bring back to simmer, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook 20 minutes or until squash is just tender, yet firm.
- Serve over cooked rice.